Dubai: Planning to move to the UAE as a resident? If so, you will need to undergo a medical examination to complete your visa application. But what is a medical check-up and how can you sign up for it? Here’s all you need to know.
According to the official UAE government website – u.ae – foreign nationals need to be free from all forms of infectious diseases such as HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) and tuberculosis (Tuberculosis).
In addition, the following categories of workers should test negative for syphilis and hepatitis B:
• Workers in the nursery
• Domestic helpers including domestic helpers, nannies and drivers
• Food processors and workers in restaurants and cafes
• Staff working at salons and beauty centers
• Employees in health clubs
• Female domestic workers must test negative for pregnancy.
The Emirate of Abu Dhabi screens foreign nationals for pulmonary tuberculosis by chest x-ray; however, the emirate of Dubai does not, according to u.ae.
A new Cabinet Resolution was passed in 2016. Under this resolution, all foreigners residing while renewing their residency visas must undergo tuberculosis screening. Those with scarring or active TB or found to have drug-resistant TB will be issued a conditional health certificate and granted a residency visa for one year. They will then have to be treated in the UAE.
When do I need a medical check-up?
Medical examination is required when applying for a new residence or employment visa or at the time of visa extension. Medical examination is not required for residents under 18 years of age.
Where can I get a medical checkup?
In the UAE, there are different health authorities that you need to visit, depending on the Emirate that issued your visa:
• Abu Dhabi – Center for Disease Screening and Prevention, Abu Dhabi Health Services Company (SEHA)
• Dubai – Health Fitness Center, Dubai Health Authority (DHA)
• Sharjah, Ajman, Ras Al Khaimah, Fujairah and Umm Al Quwain – Center for Medical Examination, Ministry of Health and Prevention (MOHAP)
After you have submitted your visa application at an immigrant customer happiness center (Amer in Dubai or the Federal Identity and Citizenship Agency – ICP – in other Emirates), you will need must take his medical examination.
When you go for your medical check-up, make sure you bring the following documents with you:
– Copy of entry permit (for new visa) or copy of residence visa (for extended visa)
– Original passport
– Original Emirates ID (for visa extension)
– Clear image
– A cell phone number and email.
Medical Checkup in Abu Dhabi
Earlier this year, Seha launched the SEHA Visa Screening app to make it easier for applicants to book a room at any of the Disease Control and Prevention Centers across Abu Dhabi. Here’s how you can make an appointment with the app:
1. Download the ‘Seha Visa Screening’ app available for Apple and Android devices.
2. Open the app and sign up with your email address, Emirates ID and mobile number. You will also be asked to choose a username and password.
3. You will receive a one-time password via email as well as SMS.
4. Enter both of these passwords.
5. You will then be asked to upload a copy of your passport and visa page.
6. Once you have registered, log in with your username and password.
7. Tap ‘Request Appointment’.
8. Select the region of the emirate you live in – Abu Dhabi, Al Ain or Al Dhafra.
9. Select the subscription center of your choice.
10. Next, enter UID number.
11. Then, select the date and time of the appointment from the available locations.
12. Once you have successfully booked your appointment, you will receive an appointment confirmation via the app and via SMS.
Necessary Green Pass
It’s important to note that once you’ve booked your appointment, you need to make sure you have Green Pass works on Al Hosn . app at the time of the appointment, as it will be required to enter the premises. This means getting a PCR test within 15 days of your appointment if you are fully vaccinated (including a booster dose if you are eligible) and within two days of your appointment if you are not fully vaccinated.
Cost of medical check-up:
Dh250 for a common application
Results within 48 hours or sooner if you receive SMS.
Medical Checkup in Dubai
Step 1: Fill in your medical examination registration form
In Dubai, you need to first go to a DHA approved medical fitness typing center to fill out an application. You can find a DHA-approved medical fitness typing center near you by following these steps:
1. Go to dha.gov.ae
2. On the right menu, click ‘DHA Base’.
3. Click on ‘Medical Fitness and Occupational Health Check’.
4. In the drop-down menu, click ‘DHA Approved Health Fitness Typing Center’ to find one closest to you.
5. Go to the typing center with the required documents to fill out the application.
Step 2: Payment
When filling out the application, you also need to pay for the test. If you want to get your test results sooner, you can pay for a premium service.
Cost of medical checkup
Regular – Dh250
Regular inspection for households, domestic help (24 working hours) – Dh300
Step 3: Get a medical health exam
Once you have filled out the application, you need to find a medical check-up center near you. To do that, look for ‘medical fitness centers’ on the same site where you found typing centers.
You will then need to come to the center with the following documents:
– Registration form
– Original passport or clear copy of your passport or identity card (required)
– Copy of residence permit
– Mobile phone number and email address
– Clear image
– In case of visa change, a change status document must be presented
After completing the test, you will receive the results within 24 hours.
According to DHA, if you don’t receive your health certificate in five business days, go to the medical fitness center again.
In addition to Medical Health testing, Hepatitis B (HBV) vaccine is required for the following and costs Dh40:
2. Housekeepers or similar items
3. Supervision of kindergartens and kindergartens
4. Employees working in barbershops, beauty centers and health clubs
5. Food handlers and processors and food control agencies
6. Canteen workers, restaurants
For visas issued in Sharjah, Ajman, Ras Al Khaimah, Fujairah and Umm Al Quwain, you need to visit a medical examination center run by MOHAP.
To find a wellness center near you, visit https://mohap.gov.ae/en/services/medical-examination-for-residency
You will need to bring the following documents:
1. Copy of valid Passport.
2. Valid Residence Permit/Visa copy.
3. Two passport-sized photos with a white background.
4. Copy of valid Emirates ID (for residence visa extension only)
At the center fill out the application and pay for the medical health exams.
After completing the test, you will receive your results within 48 hours.
Cost of medical checkup
– All Categories (excluding vaccinations and female domestic services) – Dh260
– All Categories (including vaccinations) – Dh310
– Domestic Maid Service for Women – Dh360
Once you have received your medical examination report, you can continue to complete your visa application. For more on the steps you need to take, Read our detailed guide here.
– The writer is a trainee of Gulf News