After ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski suggested on friday that Toronto is “hiding” as a team worth watching in Kevin Durant sweepstakes, Sportsnet.ca’s Michael Grange write today that Raptors believe they can make the best package for Durant that Nets is likely to receive.
Grange described the Raptors as “optimistic” rather than “confident”, noting that it feels like Durant is at least open to the idea of playing in Toronto, even if the team isn’t at the top of his wish list.
However, Grange cautions that the Nets may disagree with the Raptors’ assessment that they can come up with the best package for Durant. Also, Grange’s story shows that Toronto is still opposed to making Rookie of the Year. Scottie Barnes available so far.
While the Raptors have all their future draft picks and have some solid veterans with good contracts – including the All-Stars Fred VanVleet and Pascal I’m sorryas AND Anunoby and Gary Trent Jr. – it’s unclear if they can make a deal with Durant without putting Barnes on the scale.
“That’s the billion-dollar question,” a source told Grange.
Here is more information about Durant:
- On the latest episode of ESPN’s Hoop Collective podcast (video link), Tim Bontemps said he believes “Toronto thinks it’s in the game” in the Durant sweepstakes game, while Brian Windhorst said he’s still considering Sun favorites, because it’s rare that superstar players don’t end up where they want to be.
- Windhorst (video link) have heard that Pelican watch head coach Willie Green – an assistant at the Golden State during the Durant’s Warriors years – as an asset in the hunt for the former MVP. As Windhorst explains, the hope is that if the Nets like what the Pelicans have to offer, Green will have the opportunity to sell Durant on New Orleans.
- With New Orleans being mentioned as a possible landing spot for Durant, Scott Kushner of NOLA.com wonder if yes or no Pelican should seriously pursue at 34 years old.
- In his latest look at the Durant situation, Michael Scotto of HoopsHype Confirmed that the Nets will want more Deandre Ayton and Mikal . Bridge in dealings with Sun and say that any Heat package is built around Tyler Herro “Won’t scratch the surface of what the Nets want.”
- According to Scotto, Brooklyn is looking for the best assets of the teams, including the All-Stars, rising young players, and “substantial” unprotected draft picks and swaps.