Irving frankly for Russell Westbrook swaps won’t work financially, so Nets will either have to add another contract or include a third – and perhaps a fourth – team for the sake of salary matching. Irving would be more suitable for LeBron James and Anthony Davis than Westbrook, providing better attack distance.
A potential deal could also see the Lakers part ways with the first teams in 2027 or later.
A source told Athletic that the likelihood of the Lakers taking down Durant in a deal involving Davis is “zero”. Obviously, their focus is on Irving.
We have more information on the Durant/Irving situation:
- The Nets doesn’t seem to care Deandre Aytonsources told Arizona Sports’ John Gambadoro 98.7 (Twitter link). Thus, a potential transaction with Sun may not include the restricted free agent or it would have to involve a third group.
- Irving “fully supports” Durant’s commercial claim, according to The Athletic’s Shams Charania (head for RealGM). Irving knew Durant’s trading requirement was doable when he opted in to the final year of his contract.
- Ben Simmons will be a big obstacle for miner enter the Durant sweepstakes, Mike Singer of the Denver Post Note. Tournament rules state that teams cannot have two players in the maximum expansion of the rookie size that has been purchased through the trade. Jamal Murray and Michael Porter Jr. both would fit that description.
- In the days before Irving opted to participate, sources close to Ayton raised the possibility of an Ayton-Mikal . Bridge deal with Netsbased on The athlete’s Sam Amick. At the time, it was unclear if Durant intended to request the transaction.
- In the same passage, Alex Schiffer says he’s heard the Nets want multiple All-Stars in any deal for Durant.