Two males charged after police discover doable hyperlink to Texas migrant’s dying | Texas

Two Mexican citizens at an address associated with abandoned truck Where at least 53 migrants were found dead Monday night in Texas has been charged with illegal gun possession as federal authorities continue to investigate the grim find.

Juan Claudio D’Luna Mendez and Juan Francisco D’Luna Bilbao were staying at a house in the 100 block of Arnold Drive in San Antonio, named on the registration for the large rig containing the bodies, found abandoned in the yard. a regional industrial park of Texas city, agents with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms wrote in a criminal complaint.

Local police were cordoning off the building at the address when they saw D’Lunas crash into a Ford F-250. Officers stopped the pickup truck to question the men after they began driving, the criminal complaint filed in federal court on Tuesday said.

Officers said they received a search warrant for the home and they found a handgun, an assault rifle and three pistols shared in the men’s bedrooms. There is also a pistol in the F-250.

Neither man could legally possess a gun because they allegedly admitted that they came to the US from Mexico on an expired visa and that they were overstayed, the agents wrote in their complaint. They jailed both D’Lunas for illegal weapons possession, and a judge ordered them both to be held without bond until at least Friday, records show.

Either man could face up to 10 years in prison if ultimately found guilty.

Staff members have since Wednesday stopped directly connecting D’Lunas to the migrants’ deaths. But it is clear that they are suspected of other nefarious acts.

Authorities say three people police arrested within hours body discovery suspected of plotting to smuggle migrants across the southern US border without authorization.

One of those arrested was the driver of the rig, who was posing as an immigrant passenger. The other two were initially described only as Mexican citizens, i.e. D’Lunas.

The attorney listed for D’Luna Mendez declined to comment Wednesday. D’Luna Bilbao’s attorney could not be reached immediately.

At least 53 people found in the trailer of the rig at the center of the case have died, and 11 others have been hospitalized. It is said to be the nation’s deadliest smuggling episode US-Mexico borderrekindled the long-running debate about US immigration policies.

Officials believe the truck was carrying 67 migrants from countries such as Mexico, Honduras and Guatemala. The medical examiner’s office in Bexar County, which includes San Antonio, said 40 of the deaths so far were male and 13 were female.

Authorities said the identities of fewer than 40 dead had been identified as of Wednesday afternoon, citing challenges in tracing the names and relatives of those who crossed the border.

Eleven people were hospitalized for dehydration and other heat-related illnesses, staying in a trailer that lacked water and air conditioning as it moved through temperatures near 100F (38C).

Texas Governor Greg Abbott said the state’s public safety department will immediately begin adding more checkpoints for large trucks on high-traffic routes in an effort to limit outbreaks. like Monday.

Leave a Comment